Education, CME & Researchs
Fellowship & DNB: JIVAS was the first vascular department to be approved by NBE (national Board of Examinations, New Delhi) fro 18 month “Fellowship” program in ????? which was converted to 3 year DNB program in 2006, again a first in India. This is open to those who have already successfully completed General Surgical training (MS or DNB), through centralized selection:
- Two candidates are selected from across India and most our candidates have come northern India where there is real need for vascular surgeons
- At a given time we a 6 “Fellows” which truly enhances our care, as there is 24/7 coverage for patients
- So 12 candidates have successfully completed the program and we have 100% result
- They are providing the much-needed care as vascular specialists across India, some already heading the departments.
- They are provided with excellent training and education – perhaps one of the best in India.
- We have one of the most comprehensive libraries for the vascular trainees
- We also run a 18 month “Fellowship” program recognized by RGUHS (Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences), Karnataka. Since this is a short program, we are very selective in selecting candidates
Rotation for general Surgical PG students: Since awareness, recognition and treatment of vascular diseases is quite poor we are delighted to offer 2 to 4 weeks rotation for 2nd/3rd year PG students from all medical colleges across India. So far, over 100 such students have rotated through our department
Workshops: Over the years numerous workshops have been conducted at various medical colleges and also at JIVAS for both medical and surgical PGs, including vascular anastomosis workshops. We will continue to provide these in future
CME programs: Through surgical societies and branches of IMA across Karnataka and neighboring states. Also many of these CMEs are recognized for “credit hours” required by KMC
Research: We have been part of over 20 national and international Phase 2 & 3 clinical trials. Since all the DNB candidates have submit a thesis topics are selected to represent clinical trials
International presentations: Fellows and consultants have presented a large numbers of papers in national and international vascular conferences. All the consulting staff are usually on faculty at national conferences and senior consultants have been faculty of numerous international conferences. Our Fellows have awards for best papers and best posters. Also there are severalpublications in international journals
Global vascular Guidelines: These guidelines are to be completed in 2016 has 9-member steering committee and Dr. K. R. Suresh is the only representative from Asia
National & International Trainees in diabetic foo and wound care: So far 6 international health care workers from countries across the world (Cuba, Kenya, Pakistan, Palestine to name few) have been sent by World Diabetes Foundation for training in diabetic foot and wound care. We have also trained over 200 health care workers from across India in diabetic foot care. A new program will be in place from February 1st 2016 along with Coloplast for continuing this much needed hands-on training